Ethics and Legal Implications Assignment, UMS, Malaysia Legal assignment The U.S. firm Apple operates a digital ecosystem with its own hardware and software
|University||Universiti Malaysia Sabah (UMS)|
|Subject||Ethics and Legal Implications|
Legal assignment The U.S. firm Apple operates a digital ecosystem with its own hardware and software. Part of this ecosystem is an app store for which Apple holds a dominant position. Apple changed its policy of defaults in 2021: Users downloading applications from suppliers other than Apple would be asked explicitly whether they consented that the providers of these apps processed their data.
This also applies to apps that use tracking to display targeted advertising. Meta, another digital ecosystem operator, offers popular apps for services such as Instagram or WhatsApp. At the same time, Meta holds a dominant position in online advertising. Meta collects and uses data about user preferences to offer to advertise aligned with user preferences.
Meta, like Apple, moreover has ambitious goals for developing new services involving Virtual Reality (VR). Both firms use their services also to facilitate the development of VR, which relies heavily on the analysis of user preferences. Meta currently appears to be at the forefront of VR technology. In Meta’s view, Apple is using its new policy to oust app developers cooperating with Meta from Apple’s ecosystem.
This risk exists also objectively. Meta, hence, files a complaint with the European Commission, i.e., the main EU competition agency. Meta claims that Apple is abusing its dominant position under Art. 102 of the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union (TFEU). In its defense, Apple raises the following arguments:
- The General Data Protection Regulation requires suppliers of online services to get the consent of end users before processing their data. Regarding its App Store services, Apple has to comply with this requirement.
- Meta knows that although end users value privacy, they regularly provide their consent without thinking in order to quickly get access to online services. By exploiting this behavior, Meta is abusing its dominant position in online advertising.
(1) Is Apple, on balance, acting in the interest of consumers?
(2) How would you structure your legal reasoning on whether (a) Apple or (b) Meta is abusing its dominant position in terms of Art? 102 TFEU?
(3) Google is another operator of a digital ecosystem, including a market-dominant search engine.
Google supplies online advertising services which rely, among others, on the analysis of search queries. In Europe, Google uses pop-up windows to inform end users of their GDPR rights. Google has stated publicly that it supports Apple’s policy change. Is Google acting anti-competitively?
Are You Searching Answer of this Question? Request Malaysian Writers to Write a plagiarism Free Copy for You.
Get Help By Expert
When it comes to thesis help, Assignmenthelper.my is here to save the day. For thesis students looking for efficient and reliable thesis writing assistance, we can provide quality writing from expert assignment writers at an affordable price. The work received from us is guaranteed to meet academic standards and will be delivered within agreed deadlines.
Recent Solved Questions
- Malaysian Governance Essay, CU, Malaysia At the end of the twentieth century and the beginning of the twenty-first century, the concept of governance
- Organizational Behavior Home Work, USM, Malaysia Fact-finding and action-talking duties often polarize an individual and the entire group’s dynamics
- Fluid Mechanics Assignment, UPM, Malaysia A water pump is used to pump water at temperature T, with a minimum flow rate of 100 L/min from one large reservoir
- CSC1024: Programming Principles Assignment, SU, Malaysia The main aim of this programming project is to develop a music management system using Python 3 programming language
- Nueral Crest Cells Assignment, OUM, Malaysia Jelaskan konsep etika dan peradaban yang diamalkan dalam konteks Malaysia sebagai pelajar bagaimanakah anda mengaplikasikanya
- Accounting Assignment, OUM, Malaysia you are required to draw a Standard of Procedure (SOP) of petty cash counter operations
- FIN2102 Financial Management Report, IIU, Malaysia Critics of international diversification observe that it does not protect investors against short-term market crashes
- ACCT2111: Accounting Thoughts and Ethics Assignment, RMIT, Malaysia Critically evaluate and apply accounting theories to complex cases to solve ethical accounting issues
- CSC1212: Data Communications And Networking Assignment, MMU, Malaysia You Are Interested In Starting Your Own Gaming Store, The New-Gamers, In A Suburban Area Of Your Town
- BBM203: Business Statistics Assignment, WOU, Malaysia Explain the difference between paired and unpaired samples in a hypothesis testing procedure involving two sample means