BAO2203: Corporate Accounting Assignment, VU, Malaysia Consolidated Financial Reporting The purpose of consolidated financial statements is to ‘present the financial affairs of a parent company
|Victoria University (VU)
|BAO2203: Corporate Accounting
Topic: Consolidated Financial Reporting
The purpose of consolidated financial statements is to ‘present the financial affairs of a parent company and its legally distinct subsidiaries as if they were a single unified economic entity (Huefner and Largay III, 1990, p. 26). However, problems persist in relation to consolidated financial reporting such as ‘control when ownership is absent; technical issues of asset valuation; goodwill recognition, and minority interest presentation; and the need for separate reporting in addition to consolidated financial statements (Huefner and Largay III, 1990, p. 38).
The international financial reporting standard that provides guidance on consolidated financial statements is IFRS 10 (the Australian equivalent is AASB 10). The objective of IFRS 10/AASB 10 Consolidated Financial Statements is to ‘establish principles for the presentation and preparation of consolidated financial statements when an entity controls one or more other entities’ (AASB, 2015)
There have been positive as well as negative reports on the implementation of IFRS 10/AASB 10. For example, it leads to an increase in consolidated statements quality (Muller, 2014); the effects of the adoption are associated with financial reporting incentives (Bedford et al., 2022); or that consolidated financial statements do not possess the information content frequently attributed to them in the literature (Walker, 1976).
Based on above statements, you are required to answer following questions:
- What are the benefits and issues associated with consolidated financial reporting? You must support your answer with published articles and journals.
- According to an article published by Huefner and Largay III (1990), one of the issues regarding consolidated financial reporting is ‘consolidation policy: the circumstances under which subsidiaries should or should not be consolidated.’ (Huefner and Largay III, 1990, p. 28). Why do the authors think it is an issue? You must support your answer with published articles and journals.
- When a parent company acquires majority ownership in existing companies, there is a question as to whether the ‘acquiring ownership in a subsidiary precipitates a new basis of accountability – a revaluation of the assets and liabilities – for the acquired company’ (Huefner and Largay III, 1990, p. 28). Why do the authors think revaluation of assets and liabilities in a business acquisition is an issue? You must support your answer with published articles and journals.
- Consolidation policy is usually based on the notion of control. However, ‘even in the presence of majority ownership, it may be concluded that effective control does not exist, and hence that consolidation is inappropriate ((Huefner and Largay III, 1990, p. 29). Explain and discuss the concept of ‘control’ in relation to consolidated financial reporting? Can control exist without majority ownership? You must support your answer with published articles and journals.
Get Solution of this Assessment. Hire Experts to solve this assignment for you Before Deadline.
Get Help By Expert
Struggling with your BAO2203: Corporate Accounting assignment at Victoria University (VU)? Assignment Helper MY offers a trusted online assignment writing service dedicated to helping you succeed. Our team of skilled writers understands the intricacies of corporate accounting and can deliver customized solutions that meet your university's standards. Don't let assignment stress hinder your progress – entrust your work to us. Get reliable assistance through our 'Do My Assignment' service and achieve your academic goals with ease. Don't miss out on our tailored assistance, designed to propel you towards excellence in your Public Law coursework and beyond.
Recent Solved Questions
- Contract law Assignment, TP, Malaysia What you have learned? What is the takeaway? What are the skills acquired from this subject? Will you be using this skill in future
- Statistics for Engineering Technology Case Study, UniKL, Malaysia What is the correlation coefficient of the linear regression equation? What does this tell you? Explain
- Process Safety Management Assignment, UTP, Malaysia A fire struck out at Kemaman Bitumen Company Sdn Bhd located at Teluk Kalong Industrial Area
- Employment Law Course Work, UiTM, Malaysia Seb has been employed by Longton Water Company plc, Northampton, maintaining and repairing water pipes since
- KNC6083: Risk and Hazard Management in Energy Sector Assignment, UU, Malaysia Identify and explain the safety laws including the sub-parts of regulations
- MGT7101: MANAGING OPERATIONS OF BUSINESS Assignment, UPM, Malaysia Examine the issues and trends in operations management and how that in turn affects an organisations SIPOC
- BAM7014: Accounting for Managers Case Study, MMU, Malaysia Gable Bhd is a construction company. They are now undergoing the annual audit for the year-end of December
- Biomechanics Assignment, UOC, Malaysia We expect that you will remember what you learn from writing this paper long after the class is over
- Data Science Coursework, APU, Malaysia Explain your dataset in detail: source, number and types of attributes
- BHMC3004: Statistical Analysis for Communication Assignment, UOG, Malaysia Briefly explain how this could be done